Confession... we've seriously neglected our kitchen decor. When we finally got toward the end of decorating our living room we realized that our kitchen was in desperate need of some sprucing up. Like, it was almost a lost cause. So over the next few weeks you will probably see many projects that involve our kitchen. This is one of the first!
We bought this window so long ago that it was just chilling in our attic- we had no use for it. It cost $5 at the Nashville Flea Market. Casey went hunting in the attic the other day to find it so we could finally use it! That is also the same time that she almost fell through the ceiling...
Anyways, moving on. The first thing you need to do is cover the glass up. If you have a window without glass, lucky you! You can skip this step. I took sheets of paper and placed them over the glass and taped the sheets together once they were covering the whole piece of glass.
Put a light coat of spray paint all over the window. The color we used it Krylon's Ballet Slipper.
After the paint has dried, use sand paper to rough up the surface. I just lightly sanded the whole window, especially the edges.
Remove the paper and this is what the window looks like! You could stop here but we wanted a little more color added to our wall.
Choose a pillow case (or fabric) with the design or color of your choosing. We've also had this pillow case forever. We bought a set of 2 of them for $1.00 at Goodwill because we loved the pattern so much.
Cut right along the seam- on the side and top of the pillow case. Make sure you stop cutting when you've cut the two sides so the fabric stays as one piece.
Open the pillow case up and you have a sheet of fabric almost exactly the same size as the window!
Turn the window facing downward and place the fabric on top of the window facing downward as well.
Using a staple gun, Secure the fabric on the window.
Make sure you pull the fabric tight as you go so the fabric isn't hanging anywhere.
Trim the edges of the fabric.
Now for a way to hang the window. I took wire and put it across the window. I used the staple gun to secure the ends of the wire in place.
Done! Simple and easy and effective!